Located 50 minutes north of the Calgary International Airport Olds’ prime location along the Queen Elizabeth Highway corridor between Calgary and Edmonton is an ideal place for industry and business looking for room to grow and a skilled employment base, but within easy distance of markets and suppliers. Experts say that the Highway 2 corridor will grow by one million people by 2013 (AlbertaFirst.com).
- Olds is located in the heart of south-central Alberta, 5km west of Queen Elizabeth Highway (Highway 2) at a well-marked interchange; 90km north of the city of Calgary, and 59km south of the city of Red Deer. Two other highways also provide easy access to Olds. Provincial Highway 27 (46 Street within town limits) is the east-west road that runs through Olds. Take this highway to reach Sundre and the Rockies (West), and Trochu, Torrington, and Three Hills (East).
- Provincial highway 2A (46 Avenue within town limits) is the north-south road that runs along the east side of Olds past Olds College. Take this highway as an alternate route to get to Bowden and Red Deer (North), and Didsbury, Carstairs, and Calgary (South).
- The community of Olds has long been recognized by developers, investors and entrepreneurs, and settlers alike as an attractive and thriving area to grow. Olds has a recognized trade area population of over 45,000 people driven by both regional service vitality and strong agribusiness performance. Olds is located adjacent to the Queen Elizabeth II Highway between Red Deer and Calgary, with close access to international airport 45 mins south in Calgary, and smaller regional services in Red Deer. Olds is a community that is poised for growth which is demonstrated by the following: New Cornerstone development featuring Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire, Sobeys and Tim Horton’s among others. The town has just annexed six quarters of land. The new Community Economic Development office is now in place to support development initiatives. The community is also exploring a town-wide Fibre Optic cable Network for all residences and businesses in town.
Unique Educational Opportunities
- Olds is home to the Olds College, an agriculturally focused college with a student population of approximately 1,200.
- Construction has been completed on the new Community Learning Centre on Olds College campus. This new facility will include a new senior high school, a performing arts theatre, and with easy access to the new aquatic facility.